Nuno José Avelar
Nuno José Avelar has been a rider of the Portuguese national Working Equitation team that were European Champions in 2013 and World Champions in 2014. Individually Nuno achieved bronze medals at both these Championships. Further Nuno was National Champion in Working Equitation, at Debutante level in 2012 and at Consecrated level in 2013, as well as competing in dressage up to Prix St. George with very good results.
Today Nuno is the trainer of the national Working Equitation team of Denmark.
Nuno is a highly experienced professional rider, Working Equitation and Dressage trainer who is now available for clinics worldwide, including his home country Germany and country of origin, Portugal. For three years Nuno has been situated at beautiful Herdade Pero Viegas in the Alentejo where he welcomes horses for schooling as well as being the instructor for their riding holiday packages.
Services offered by Nuno
- Dressage and Working Equitation clinics worldwide
- Dressage and Working Equitation lessons on well schooled horses at Nuno Avelar Training Centre
- Dressage and Working Equitation lessons on privat horses at Nuno Avelar Training Centre
- Welcoming horses for schooling programmes at Nuno Avelar Training Centre
- Presenting horses in hand as well as ridden at breed shows
If you are interested in any of Nuno’s services, including taking part in a clinic, or maybe arranging one in your area, contact us and we will happily answer all your questions.
History and Merits
Nuno is an approved riding instructor of the Portuguese Equestrian Federation since 2001 and started his professional career in the United States, working at New Gait Manor in Boston for one and a half years as rider and instructor. Since returning to Portugal Nuno has, amongst others, worked for Francisco Bessa Carvalho as a rider and instructor and for five years at Coudelaria Ferraz da Costa as a rider, in charge of the stable, the breeding program , also showing horses at breed shows both in hand and ridden. Further, handling the sales of horses.
Since he started riding as a child, Nuno has been dedicated to developing as a rider. During his time in the USA Nuno had training with George Williams and Christopher Hikey. In Nuno’s home country Portugal he has been been training with various merited horsemen such as Bento Castelhano and Master João Lopes Aleixo. In the last three years Nuno has had regular training with Pedro Torres
After several years as an instructor and mainly working with young horses for sale in 2011, Nuno started to train and compete the Lusitano Bogotá, owned by Herdade Pero Viegas. Bogotà was five at the time and during their first three years together they have accomplished:
2012 - Bogotá 6 years old
- National Champion Working Equitation Debutante Level
- Winner of the Portuguese Working Equitation Cup Debutante Level
- Dressage, up to Prix St. George with 65 %
2013 - Bogotá 7 years old
- Gold with the Portuguese team European Championship Working Equitation
- Individual bronze medal European Championship Working Equitation
- National Champion Working Equitation Consecrated level
- Winner of the Portuguese Working Equitation Cup Consecrated level
- Dressage, up to Prix St. George with 69.46 %
2014 - Bogotá 8 years old
- Gold with the Portuguese team World Championship Working Equitation
- Individual bronze medal World Championship Working Equitation
Nuno is also successfully training and mentoring various Portuguese Working Equitation riders, for example, Bruno Pinto, who won all five competitions entered during his first competition year, and Mafalda Ribeiro, winning five out of six entered competitions during her first year.
For any questions please do not hesitate to contact us, we would be delighted to hear from you!